Invertebrate Zoology Department
- Loan requests from faculty and staff of universities, museums, and scientific organizations are considered on a case-by-case basis. Students may borrow specimens only through their advisors. All loans are considered to be the responsibility of the institution with which the borrower is affiliated.
- Loans will be made for scientific and educational purposes only.
- All specimens and parts thereof must be returned to the MCZ.
- All labels must stay with the specimens at all times. Never discard any pieces of paper found with specimens, even if paper appears to be blank. Any new labels added should be dated and signed, and should be on label quality paper, using permanent ink or pencil.
- All loan specimens must be kept in the preserving fluid in which they were received, unless permission to change medium is granted.
- Permission must be granted before any of the following procedures are performed on MCZ specimens: dissection; preparation for SEM photography; making permanent microscopic slides; DNA analysis; clearing & staining; any other destructive procedure.
- Unless otherwise noted, non-type material may be lent for one year. Loans of type material will be made for one month from date of receipt, and will be limited to four lots per loan.
- Credit for use of MCZ material should be given in resulting publications, and reprints should be sent to the Department of Invertebrate Zoology.
- Returns of DRY material must be made via Registered Air Mail or its equivalent. Returns of ALL FLUID preserved material must be made via FedEx following ALL Department of Transportation, Airline and FedEx hazardous materials packing and labeling protocols. Department of Loans should not be returned during December because of the increased volume of mail during the holidays.
Address mail to:
Department of Invertebrate Zoology
Museum of Comparative Zoology
26 Oxford Street
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA